Saturday, October 20, 2012

Broken shock bolt removal on Harley Davidson EVO Softail

 This shows a how-to remove a broken shock bolt in the swingarm of a Harley Davidson Evolution Softail. They are the same on all softail models, FXST , Custom, Standard or FLST, Heritage or Fatboy.  I'll start with the swingarm off the bike, as the manual will show you how to get that off.  You will notice that the bolt is broke off below the surface of the swingarm, so this one is a little harder than normal.  Usually the bolt breaks off because someone lowered the bike to much, and the shock hits the transmission mount studs, and then shears off the bolts.  This one must of had a weak spot in the bolt, and just broke eventually.  First thing I do is put some StrongArm Brand penetrating oil one the bolt, on both side if possible.  Find it here  StrongArm Brand Penetrating Oil.  We use this exclusively in our shop for many things other than just removing stubborn bolts.
 Normally I would use a larger nut than I did on this one. Because it was below the surface, we beveled the one side of the nut, so it would go down in the hole farther.  We did that so we didn't weld the nut and stud to the inside of the hole on the swingarm.
 I then used the TIG welder to heat up the broken bolt for a short time.  I then set the nut in the hole and welded the broken bolt to the nut.  I completely fill the nut with filler rod, and even make it convex to give it the best chance I can to make it stick.  Then let it cool down for a minute or so, and gently try to start turning it out.  If it doesn't move at first, wait until it's a little cooler and try again.  Hope this helps you out, if not, get ahold of us and we will do it for you.

Check us out on Facebook, Wisner Cycles Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much. Just broke a shock bolt yesterday on my '03 Softail. I'm a little nervous about getting the swing arm off...

    ReplyDelete